Today’s consumers put yesterday’s consumers to shame — the current batch goes beyond the call of duty when it comes to deciding where to invest their hard-earned dough. They Sherlock the hell out of every buy. From checking Amazon reviews to going online and doing deep-dive comparison shopping. They rely heavily on online research, reviews, word-of-mouth, and everything in between before making a decision, especially when it comes to where to lay their head. In other words, what hotel to book for their next trip?
This shift in behavior has led to a rapid rise in the use of digital technology by the hospitality industry to attract and retain customers. One of the most effective ways the industry is trying to stay ahead of the turn and maintain its competitive edge is through the use of hospitality videos. These videos not only showcase the property and its amenities but also provide potential guests with an inside look at the hotel’s culture, value system, staff, and overall commitment to guest satisfaction. Let’s take a deep dive into hotel video production.
Digital technology and consumer behavior
Consumers, your potential clients, have access to more information than ever before — at the tip of their fingers, they can access everyone’s dirty little secrets. They can easily research and compare products, not just hotels, online, read reviews from other guests, and even book their stay without ever speaking to a flesh-and-bone representative. As a result, the hospitality industry has had to adapt to these changes. They have had to evolve or die — embracing the digital juggernaut and finding new and dynamic ways to connect with potential guests.
One of the most effective ways, their ace up their sleeve, is through hospitality video production. But do they work? Let’s take a look at what videos of this type have done for the industry and some of its most powerful players.
- According to a study by Google, 60% of leisure travelers and 55% of business travelers start their planning process by using their nifty search engine. This highlights the importance of having a strong online presence and utilizing search engine optimization – SEO- strategies to ensure your hotel is visible to potential guests — and gets some traction in one of Google’s branches, YouTube.
- A survey by TripAdvisor found that 93% of travelers use online reviews to make their booking decisions. This underscores the impact of managing your reputation and ensuring you have a strong presence on review sites like TripAdvisor.
- According to a study by Expedia, hotel listings that include virtual tours – or videos – receive 87% more bookings than their less cinematic peers. The power of visual content in influencing consumer behavior and the importance of using digital technology right now are key to a business’s success.
- A study by Deloitte found that millennials are more likely to book a hotel based on social media content than any other age group — and more so if said content is visually impacting and in video form.
- Yet another study, this time by Adobe, came up with the shocking fact that 52% of consumers say that watching product videos makes them more confident in their online purchase decisions.
These metrics, plus hundreds more – we only touched the very tip of the iceberg – demonstrate the critical and essential impact that digital technology and digital content can have on consumer behavior in the hospitality industry. By leveraging these tools effectively, and with the right help, hotels can improve their marketing efforts, build trust with potential guests, and ultimately drive their revenue.
What is a hospitality video?
A hospitality video, in a nutshell, is a marketing tool that showcases a hotel, a property, or a resort amenities, and services — it tells the viewers what they will be buying if they book with them. These videos can be used to promote the product on the hotel’s website, social media, or other online channels. They typically normally include fantastic footage of the rooms, the restaurants and their meals, the spa, and other amenities. They can also include testimonials, and reviews, from satisfied guests. Some are more creative and cinematic than others but in general, they exist so the consumer can get a clear idea of what they are investing in.
By showcasing the joint through video, potential guests can get a better sense of what it would be like to stay there. This can help build trust with potential guests, as they can see for themselves what the hotel has to offer.
Types of hospitality videos
Let’s look at what you can do to get in on the action and punch up your marketing strategies with a hospitality video. There are several types of hospitality videos, most can help build trust with potential guests, while some are just created to showcase your product and get some traction on Google.
These types of videos feature satisfied guests sharing their positive experiences at the hotel — the equivalent of a Google review on steroids and in 3D. This video can assist potential guests see that others have had an amazing stay at the hotel and can help build trust in the brand’s services.
These videos demonstrate and showcase the hotel’s staff and company culture — they underscore the brand’s philosophy and value system. They can also demonstrate the hotel’s commitment to cleanliness and safety, which is especially important in the current COVID-19 pandemic.
Local attraction and collaboration videos
These videos are less about the hotel and more about the destination — they underpin and highlight local attractions and activities that guests can enjoy during their stay. They can also feature collaborations with regional businesses, such as restaurants or tour operators, which can help not only build trust in the hotel’s relationships within the community but also help guests pick tour operators and discover what the region has to offer.
The power of hospitality videos in marketing and communication
Hospitality videos have a vast array of benefits when it comes to marketing and communication:
- Increased engagement: Videos studies have shown are more engaging than text or images alone and can help keep potential guests on the hotel’s website longer — some can attract the consumer by 5x more than a blog piece or website text.
- Increased retention rates and bookings: By providing potential guests with a visual representation of the hotel, they are more likely to remember the search, and the hotel, and ultimately book their stay.
- Emotional connection through visual storytelling: Videos can tell a story and evoke emotion, which can help build a connection between the hotel and potential guests — they can help properties in their storytelling tactics.
- Improved brand image and trust: By displaying the hotel’s infrastructure, amenities, and staff, hospitality videos can improve the hotel’s brand image.
- Boosted search engine optimization – SEO-: Videos can help improve the hotel’s search engine rankings – Google gives more credence, because they won YouTube, to websites with videos – making it more likely that potential guests will find the hotel when searching online.
Leveraging authentic hospitality videos for maximum reach
To get the most out of hospitality videos, and your investment, it’s important to use them strategically. To get the most out of each buck and stretch your investment. Here are some ways to do so:
Utilize social media platforms for sharing
Social media platforms like Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter are great places to share hospitality videos. They allow hotels to reach a wider audience and can help generate buzz around the hotel. Not only that, these types of channels attract new consumer bases and can be focused on bringing in avant-garde demographics.
Integrate videos into your website and booking process
Videos should be featured and heavily displayed on your website and be included in the booking process — throughout the process if possible. This can help potential guests imagine their stay at the hotel and increase the likelihood of an actual purchase. By doing this, you’re always pushing the sale forward in a creative and non-intrusive way.
Collaborate with influencers and travel bloggers
Influencers and travel bloggers can help promote the hotel through their social media channels and blogs. Right now, it is the age of the influencer, it’s about time to get in on the action. By collaborating and building relationships with them and providing them with hospitality videos, as well as stays, hotels can reach a wider audience and build credibility. Not only that but in most cases, bloggers will take the lead and create their videos while they stay on your property.
Optimize videos for mobile viewing
Many consumers use their mobile devices to research hotels and book their stays. It’s more than important, dare we say essential, to optimize hospitality videos for mobile viewing to ensure they are easily accessible to potential guests.
Should you invest in hospitality video production services?
Investing in Kasra Design hospitality video production services can make a difference in funneling in clients — from hotels looking to build trust with potential guests and improve their marketing efforts to new properties that want to start their marketing journey. Nevertheless, it’s important to choose the right production company, one that specializes in hotel video production and has experience creating these types of videos. A professional video production company can help ensure that the final product showcases the hotel in the best possible light and captures the attention of potential guests and that it looks sleek in the process.
Over to you
The hotel industry is always changing, especially during a time of crisis. Make sure to future-proof your business and continue attracting new guests by investing in these solutions.
Ready to take your hotel’s digital transformation to a new level?
Partner up with a digital transformation coach for a new and bright future!
We are in this together!
I need to let you all know that we are in on this together. If you need to vent, talk, cry, or have someone to talk with, I am here listening.
Where to reach me
NEW: Hotel Digital Transformer on LinkedIn
Also, join us at our Facebook Group – Hotel Social Media Community
We will get through this unprecedented event together! #hotelstrong #hospitalitystrong
The hotel industry is still facing some uphill challenges. Make sure you follow their guidelines and say THANK YOU to those that now show a unique spirit to serve and help us all get through this!! #hotelstrong #hospitalitystrong
About Are Morch
Are Morch assist hotels ? in increasing their direct bookings through innovative digital transformation solutions, while avoiding competition with online travel agencies.